Sunday 6 February 2011

2011, International Year for people of African Descent

Yes.. it's not only the year of the Rabbit

2011 - this year - is the International year for people of African Descent...some may argue... well that's all of us then!! well... yes... but none of your lip right now .. you know what I mean.. possibly.. those of us with.. shall we say.. a slightly darker hue, who face the most discrimination for no other reason.. other than..( I'm simplifying I know!!)Check the UN Website
Which means.. that this year... should be like one year long birthday party.. with nice treatment..presents and 'everyfink!'..hey..where's the fan fair??..where're my presents??'
I digress...anyway...

Not sure if it will mean much to anyone but I've lifted a bit of text from the site for any passing eyes...

2011, International Year for People of African Descent

Title 2011, International Year for People of African Descent
Lead On 18 December 2009, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the year beginning on 1 January 2011 the International Year for People of African Descent (A/RES/64/169).
Source ONU
Publication Date 2010-12-10 12:00 pm

Text 1 The Year aims at 'strengthening national actions and regional and international cooperation for the benefit of people of African descent in relation to their full enjoyment of economic, cultural, social, civil and political rights, their participation and integration in all political, economic, social and cultural aspects of society, and the promotion of a greater knowledge of and respect for their diverse heritage and culture.

The General Assembly encourages Member States, the specialized agencies of the United Nations system, within their respective mandates and existing resources, and civil society to make preparations for and identify possible initiatives that can contribute to the success of the Year.'

Maybe... once I've sorted my garden.. I'll have a nice barbecue in recognition... yeah... I think I'll do that..
How about you?.. how will you celebrate? will you celebrate?

Here's a question... should it be recognised in workplaces??
If not.. why?
If so..why?
I'd love to do an episode of that show.. who do you think you are..
I'm convinced I'm descended from either royalty or warlords.. oh lord have mercy - imagine the disappointment if I'm not!! :-)
oh lord have mercy.. imagine the attitude if I am!!
I am joking of course..
Yes, I must remember to add modesty to my list of qualities...Xtra or what( as the kids would say)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. (A bit wordy if dats even a word lol)You touched on some interesting issues, anything about politics just makes my head hurt. My favourite part was when you thought that you might be a decendent of royalty and warlords lol, royalty yes warlords REALLY? WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Anonymous! nice to see you felt Royalty could be a posibility.. I like you.. alot! Tell you what.. google 'a definition of warlord' and tell me what you think!!.. is there ever a time in your life where it could apply to you? :-)with adaptations of course!!
    I've heard that many women run their homes with almost military precision... Is this true men?.. and if so .. do you like it?

    ReplyDelete