Tuesday 29 March 2011

Jingoism and Football - what's the score?

I’ve been following some interesting Tweets during the England v Ghana game.
Apparently – for some – they can’t quite understand why 2nd generation Ghanaians and Nigerians are supporting the country they ‘holiday’ in.
It was said that England is too tolerant and that if 2nd generation loyalties are not to the country they were born in - then why are they here.

Grrrr
Well – I’ll speak for most and say – bite me!
No seriously – I’ll speak for most and say that their loyalties are with England… just not when playing Ghana:-)
I’m neither from Nigeria or Ghana but I’ll support Ghana whenever they’re playing. I’ll support England most times but not against Ghana.
Now – whilst many may find this complicated let me try and simplify it for you.

You will always have an affinity to your country of origin.
Unless - however - you’ve experienced terrible hardships – had to flee your original home – or lived in your country of origin under severe persecution.. I’m very fortunate in that these are things I’ve only ever read about – never experience 1st hand - so maybe(as a result) my view is slightly romanticised… I can accept that. ( I tend at times to focus not on things as they are - but as they should or could be)
Yet as a way of explanation I could present another view - perhaps an overview of the whole colonial history thing - and remind you of how second generation African Caribbeans fought hard in the UK( at the detriment of their own progression in some cases - and to be branded trouble makers) to secure equal rights – challenge racism- and endure physical racial abuse - yet stand firm - in order to pave the way for others from Africa and the Caribbean to live and study here- and to do so relatively freely – to be given opportunities both at work and in education that without the struggle may have remained a distant dream (you can thank us later;-) Well...It's both a thought and a credible theory - worthy at least of consideration.

The irony of the 'Tweet' is that despite the fact that I was born here – 'proper Londoner’ - the most frequent question I’m asked is – where are you from? – why? –well I guess it must be because my skin is the colour of chocolate – yummy.
I like it though...on a daily basis it's not really an issue for me - perhaps because i've become accustomed to it.
I tend to choose a country of origin depending on how I feel at the time – Senegal one day – Ghana another - whatever – I’ll lay claim to anywhere.. Like a true Brit!

So…just as the English and the Aussies have a bit of friendly banter at cricket. Just like the English and the French have their isms.
When your team comes out to play.
Bring it on!
What’s your beef?
Funnily enough – I don’t think Fabio Capello has ever put so many 2nd generation African/Caribbeans on the pitch all at once to play for England - lord have mercy – where were they before? (thank god for the Ghana game!)
I joke of course

Minor displays of jingoism are apparent in football - possibly more so than other sports – but to be honest it’s pretty much evident across all sports.
But let's' not get carried away - sport is sport – let's not read too much into this - it's competition - and rivalry is healthy in sports – without it – it’s pointless.
I’m a London girl through and through – born and bred – love it
Happy to maintain a dual identity - Happy to be a lady of complexities
Deal with it
Variety they say – is the spice of life

No comments:

Post a Comment