Tuesday 5 April 2011

Commit to change

When you truly commit to change - you can never go back to the way things were and feel content.

I often hear people say they would like to feel differently about something - or that they’re tired of a certain situation - or they would like to have a better - more fulfilling life - which is something we can all identify with right?
Yet - despite this - many appear reluctant to really make the changes they need to make in order for this to happen.
I wonder why this is.
Is it fear of the unknown? - uncertainty about what they need to do? - uncertainty of the steps they need to take to make the change?. Is it fear of losing what they’ve become accustomed to? - But what if what they’ve become accustomed to is making them miserable? - do they not then remain in a state of perpetual 'miserableness'?

Change can occur from the moment you say - enough. The moment you say "I commit to change" and believe it with all your heart is the moment the most important change has occurred. Don’t worry about how - where - or which way – as the path will become clear for you if you’re honest with yourself - and your commitment is rooted and grounded in truth.
Have you ever had a friend complain constantly about an area of his or her life - to the point where you’re willing to do all you can - provide all the advice you can muster just to put an end to it and see a smile on their face once more? - only to have them ignore all of your attempts - appear deaf to your advice and cling to the same old negative thought patterns as if their life depended on it?
If you’re like me you probably wonder why that is. Well - I don’t wonder any more. I guess I’ve come to accept that change - really must come from within. You can’t make it happen for anyone - it’s their ‘call’.

It’s like trying to tell a junkie to stop taking drugs. Only they will decide when enough is enough. Sometimes - we have to hit the ground hard before we can stand up on our own and declare – ‘It’s time… I’m fed up being fed up!’.
When you commit to change – things look different - feel different - and nothing else can alter this new vision of you – and your world. Old thought patterns are just that - old. Each of us chooses what we focus on - and what we focus on will be ever present in our lives.

I used to say to my son - “Bwoy… I’m 'Broke Back Mountain' right now!” (AKA Skint) to the point where he'd say, "Man - that’s all I ever hear... we practically live on that mountain!
Sure I laughed but I also said - enough. I'm tired of that mountain - so...I got down!. Sure – ( let’s keep it real) I may visit from time to time - pop in for a cuppa tea now an ' then( for old times’ sake) but trust me... I don’t 'wanna' live there so I don’t focus on it anymore.
I changed the mantra.
Instead of attempting to advise others - and feeling let down when they ignore our advice – or trying to get them to do this or that - squat - hum - chant – burn incense - whatever works for you; I think that more often than not - the most effective way to inspire change in others - is through our works – our actions. I remember reading somewhere (can’t remember where)

‘Be the change you wish to see in others.

Yes – it can be scary… but isn’t that half the fun?
If we can choose what we focus on – why not focus on what makes us happy
Surely we can commit to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment