Thursday 2 June 2011

Comment for Change..!!!


The recent shooting outside Stockwell tube station both upset and got me thinking in equal measure.I'm deeply sorry for the families of anyone involved.

Other than why? why? why?.. my thoughts again turned to what can be done to make a change.

I don't believe people are born bad. But somewhere along the way - some have learnt to be heartless - have forgotten how to care - Get caught up - caught out and can't get out.. who knows.. I don't get it!.

I sometimes wonder where the parents are when I see youths of 11, 12 13 upwards hanging around on the streets late at night.

I asked that question and was told - 'Well.. some parents are on the streets too.. doing whatever...'
Someone else said 'It's poverty - and lack of opportunity!'
Another said - The parents don't know..

If i'm honest I currently don't talk to the youths as much as I used too.. and that's sad.. it's just that - I don't know what's going on..the rules of the game appears to have changed.. the sand has shifted from under the feet of us adults - and we need to get back on a firm footing again.

Anyway .. the point of this post is to gather comments from as many of you as possible on what you think we as members of a wider community can do to make things better.. not only in the UK but communities in other countries too!. Bitesize comments are fine.. nothing too long - workable soundbites if you like..

I'd like to do something with the comments at some point - not sure what yet.. but it's like what they say... strength in numbers.

Maybe - if enough people comment it can be like a bill of rights ;-) Something to inspire - guide - and protect. I know we have laws but I mean... more like a Community Charter - a guide to strong thriving Communities... but coming directly from the people - not governments. Real - meaningful stuff!.

We are after all... interconnected. We need each other.

How can we build better, stronger, loving , and vibrant communities.. where young and old (and anyone in between) can feel valued and safe?

So.. I'll kick things off..here are 5 things.. you don't have to ponder too long - just brainstorm it out;-) I did..

1. If you're a parent - try and be the best parent you can be... if you're struggling - seek help ( there's no shame in it).. don't suffer in silence..

2. As above - just try to be the best... person you can be.

3. Watch less TV

4 Never aim to hurt or harm anyone - always treat another with respect and love..

5. Let's remove derogatory terminology from the vernacular please.. we don't like it when used against us!!.. let's not do onto others..

Over to you..
Comment for Change!!

4 comments:

  1. First of all we should all strive to treat other people the way we'd like to be treated. Short of that and the type of common sense advice you'd get from your grandparents, I'm in favor of proactive use of the death penalty.

    I've been in favor of the death penalty ever since I clearly understood it's purpose. I've never been one to think that ALL life is precious; and far too many of our fellow citizens would apparently agree.

    I've always had my reservations about the application of the death penalty. But my concerns aren't enough to sway me from truly believing in it's applied use.

    I think we've coddled these fools far too long. I don't believe in the concept of life in prison and I think that anyone that draws a sentence of 20 or more years should just be put to death.

    I think that electricity and lethal injection are far too expensive and that we ought to use rope since it can be used again and again. I also think that attempts to overturn one's conviction (appeals) shouldn't last longer than a year.......at the end of which the convicted should be hung.

    Kill 'em all I say, God will send the righteous to heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived for some time on Stockwell Park estate and had a first hand on the social conditions that spawns the madness we now read in the papers. Depressing. Its a mixture of things from wayward single mothers and absent father to immigrant parents working round the clock to drug tourism that pervades the Brixton area. The house I was staying in was burgled three times in the space of months. The kids were literally brought up on the streets. Seriously can you imagine your door buzzer going at 12 midnight and a 6 year old begging for a couple of spoons of sugar/a cigarette all because you say hello to his mum? Half the time I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. What is this mad city I left Nigeria for? where are these streets that are paved with Gold?

    so what can be done?

    1st off try extremely hard to move out, there is no love in the ghetto. dog-eat-dog and crabs in a barrel

    2nd re-education, I came across some hardcore illiterate people, the sort that shouldn't be parents. a charity initiative to re-educate for free will go far

    3rd get a good cane, sometimes the love has to be very tough. I'd rather they are scared shitless of me than their peers. Of course tempered with good advice and Saturday school.

    4th Zero tolerance on drugs, keep those white vampires away, they eating the kids with their drugged out desires. I'd volunteer Reggie's death penalty (or at least a vigilante group in the area with powers to arrest). where there is no demand ...

    5th send the errant child back to country of origin, Africa or the Caribbeans, for a year or two. The harder environment and stricter parental/school code will quickly knock all that crap out and re-establish basic values. Setup a travel fund to sponsor these trips? We can get BBC3 to film it and mandate its showing in inner city schools

    there's much more we can do. how about creating a council of elders initiative?

    keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sreong points from both of you. Thanks you. A council of elders initiative is very interesting. Maybe we need to get real tough as Reggie suggests. I'm soo in favour of sendign kids back to thier parents country of origin. Even somewhere where there is real hardship.. make them come back knowing that the opportunities they get hear.. another child would LOVE to get. Instil a strong sense of identity and self worth. I'll get bak to you. my pc may cut out any moment:-).. I'll take this question out and about with me.. gather as many comments as I can..keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reads like I'm from another country.. I know;-)I'm in a battle with my sons laptop. Thank you both thus far.

    ReplyDelete