Tuesday 6 December 2011

Who protects the poor?..

It was quite recently that someone told me they felt the deficit was as a result of welfare benefits, and I've lost count of the number of times that people have said things along the lines of .. those on benefits are better off than those of us who work!?!..
When I ask "how so?" .. they usually go on to say things like.. oh well they can afford wide screen TVs, car outside, blah blah blah.. some 'nonsense' like that.

I often wonder what it is about wide screen TVs that is such an annoyance to some folk, and think it's possibly become some kind of symbol of status for the middle classes (I don't know) but people keep bringing it up - what gives?

Maybe what's needed is some kind of UK poverty tour..

Or.. the inequality tour
We're a very divided nation..

2 comments:

  1. What is it about wide screen TVs?!? I know someone (middle class) who totally judges worth by the size of your plasma! Funny.

    ReplyDelete

  2. "sir we are declining your application"
    "why?"
    "you ticked 42 inch plasma screen"
    "but, but ..."
    "it also says here you own a car?"


    elitism froths at the mouth huh?

    ReplyDelete