Monday 4 June 2012

Charles family album.. our family album..

I was watching a programme about the royal family which showed Prince Charles watching a lot of archive footage of his family, and talking us ( the audience ) through it.
I must say it looks like great fun to be a royal.

Apart from the fact that Charles has got to be one of the driest people ( which actually became quite amusing and endearing) what struck me was how well documented their lives are.
They are able to trace their history back not only through books and letters but also film.
How wonderful it must be to know this. To know your history in that way.
I think it’s unusual for a black family of African Caribbean heritage to be able to go back very far. I could be wrong but it seems uncommon.

I try to tell my children as much as I can. Even about myself. The reason being that its important that they know who and what I stand for, that I too have made mistakes, had knock backs, got up, and kept going.
I may not be able to show archive footage of my family going back very far but all that they are/were/ exists in me in some form.

The history of black people in the Britain goes way back. Africans were here before the English. They were soldiers of the Roman Empire. (Yr 210)
Yet we know very little of who they really where and what their experiences have been.
The history of Britain is very interesting.
History, is very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment