Saturday 11 August 2012

The £9.3 billion mood lifter..

The Olympics has been estimated to cost around £9.3 billion, and many say it has lifted the mood of the nation.

I'll go out on a limb and say I agree.. at least it has lifted mine.
This time last year the London riots were the talk of the town, Tottenham, Hackney, Croydon.. the riots was London in a crisis, fractured communities, disgruntled citizens, and seemingly out of touch leaders, and politicians.


Well, the leaders haven't changed..
The politicians haven't changed..
Policing hasn't changed..
So what gives??...

Now I would say it doesn't take £9 billion to lift my mood, but clearly, investment in people, can, and does.

Whilst the Olympic budget was under scrutiny, and was highly questionable, especially with cuts to public services, and so many other areas such as education and training, can we now say that it has been worth it?

Team GB has brought a sense of unity amidst diversity, and national pride that's for sure, but when the lights go out, the crowds go home, and the games end, people will still need access to education, jobs, and opportunities.

The Olympics is like sex, great at the time, but the feeling wont last. It takes much more to sustain the feel good factor... and that is a genuine desire to...commitment to... and investment in.

I'm sure those who have taken part will never forget these games.. I wont either, best for me by far.
But end they will... all £9 billion + of it.

Fun link 9 things that cost as much as the Olympics

2 comments:

  1. I swear that I haven't watched more than a minute of these Olympics. For some reason, I'm just not in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I'd get into it as much as I did..

    ReplyDelete