Sunday 18 November 2012

The Alchemist

I have committed myself to completing a new album. My producer has been calling and texting for weeks, and yesterday... finally... I responded.
I have no preconceived ideas with regards to how it should turn out. I know I have a few covers, namely a Bob Andy cover that I’d began to tackle, but other than that... my aim is to just sit and write it all on the guitar, then go in. Some tracks may remain acoustic, many I suspect will not.

It’s funny really when we look at life. I first worked with this guy when I was 15, over at the studio in Harlesden. He’s one of the most talented musicians I know, very funny, and easy to work with. Over the years his band has band pretty much backed every reggae artist to enter into the U.K from Jamaica, and are pretty much the UK's leading band so I feel like I'm in safe hands.
One thing, he has never forgotten me.

My thoughts today veered towards the Alchemist. I remember vaguely (as I read it many years ago) that the protagonist ventured forth in search of something... only to find, that he had it all along.
In many ways I feel like that. I've come to the realisation that what I've been looking for, I've always had. Me...simply me.
I’m growing up.
Someone said it would happen, and sure enough, it is. Drat.

I realise that when you commit to a new way of being (or old way of being depending on how you want to look at it) it changes everything. It changes the way you relate.. to things, and to people. It’s also difficult to go back once you know, or become aware... it’s not impossible, nothing is (and all is a choice) but.. it’s difficult... and ultimately, it will change the way that others relate to you.

An example can be how you respond to insults, or subjective statements made not in your favour. You may find that they will cease to have the impact they may once have had, simply because you recognise truth. You recognise that often they are made with the sole intention of causing harm or hurt ( your memory tells you this) yet they hold very little power, as untruths rarely do. This doesn't mean you do not experience hurt, or even anger, but it may begin to flow through you, not become you. Something... will no longer allow you to go there.
In the arena of relationships, those that are built on mistrust, control, domination or subjugation which are often the norm in our society, carry little, or no appeal.
As some of us know, a relationship that is built on mutual trust, understanding, respect and a commitment to spiritual and personal growth of both, each becoming the best they can be, coaxing out the best in each other, challenging old thought processes, overcoming differences, (or demons within if you like ) as two become as one, is not only an achievable aim, but one of the finest experiences known to mankind.

I truly believe that’s the point.

At times the simplicity of my statements may come across naive, or idealistic. I am aware of that. However, that does not make my sentiments untrue.

From time to time I have considered becoming more involved in politics. Why? because I have a lot to say, and often, politics can be a vehicle to connect thoughts and words, to a larger number of people... however, so can a creative venture, and in truth, I am a creative.
So politics is out.

The point of that statement was to lead me to something I was told last week by a person who doesn't even know me that well (or so I thought). On my becoming more political she said, “you could never. You have too much heart”.
I quizzed her for a second then left it at that. I wondered if she was right, and if so, is it detrimental?
Possibly in the midst of the heartless too much can seem like an anomaly yes, but is it not a desirable state for us a people?

I'm currently reading Cesaire’s discourse on colonialism. Frantz Fanon was a student of Cesaire so you have perhaps an indication of his school of thought. The book itself is beautifully written, fluid and poetic, guiding you easily from one page to the next. The subject matter, however damning is approached with heart. Not for him the bourgeois prose of the fearful, or the careful, Cesaire is blunt, but his words are filled with love. In reading his work and thinking about how we relate to each other I've come to the realisation that somewhere in our histories, the heart was replaced by the intellect. ( which in itself without heart, is arguably not intellect all, but perhaps something quite different). This ‘switch’ can perhaps be traced right back to colonialism, which by all intents and purposes was the total and actual, annihilation of the heart, or any fanciful indulgences within the realm of love, spirituality, or humanity.

So if you are accused of having too much heart...take heart. You are not doing too badly. To succeed in holding onto that which is most precious, when all about you give way, it’s not only heart you have, but you have retained a connection to a creative force that is more commonly known as god.
It is you.
You, are the Alchemist.

No comments:

Post a Comment