Tuesday 9 July 2013

Force-feed or die

I read this article on the force-feeding at Guantanamo Bay of detainees on hunger strike.
Mos Def the rapper and actor agreed to undergo the procedure to showcase what these detainees actually go through. It looks awful, and extremely painful
My question is.. what's the alternative?
Should they be allowed to starve?.. or should it be a case, of recognising that they are pleading to be heard, and agreeing to a compromise, with a view to establishing fair and just treatment.. where no one feels the need to refrain from eating.. and no one feels the need to force feed

You can read, and watch it.. here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a proponent of force feeding anyone. If someone chooses not to eat, then they should be allowed that choice. If that therefore means that they die, then so be it. That choice sounds like the most basic of human rights to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Reggie
    i wouldn't want to watch anybody die through deliberate starvation. If someone refuses to eat what's on offer.. as a human being.. my first question is .. why?
    We take it from there..

    i'd prefer not to have to force

    ReplyDelete