Sunday 21 July 2013

Merry go rounds

I’ve never been much of a fan of merry-go-rounds.

Remember them?


The imposing circular iron frame, the smooth motion, big space to jump on.
Clissold Park in Stokenewington.. The Roundabout (as we called it then)
It was there that I learnt I couldn’t stand them. As inviting as they appeared to be. I’d get on the thing and after a few turns, I’d be feeling sick and dizzy, desperately keen to get off.
Still... I‘d go back to the park again... call it the folly of youth...immaturity… memory lapse... or just plain silly... but I’d get on that ride, and sure enough .. within minutes, I’d feel sick and dizzy... eager to get off.


But I did stop. Eventually.
Any trip to the park after the revelation that a particular outcome was pretty much a done deal… guaranteed that I happily stayed off that ride. Its appeal faded. It no longer looked imposing or inviting... no... the swing and the sandpit provided hours of fun after that.
Fast forward into adulthood and I realize that life can often be the stuff of merry-go-rounds...
Getting on rides where you know any pleasure is short lived, and the end outcome won’t make you feel good.
If I personalise this post for a moment, one such ride for me would be to worry less, and to make fun of (or minimise) negative thoughts that will come up.
Know It’s okay to have an opinion… then let it be

Ever been on a merry-go-round?

No comments:

Post a Comment