Sunday 14 June 2015

Heart & Soul pt1: The view from the hill

Good morning Sunday

I've been avoiding the news lately, rather, I've been a consumer of the news on a casual basis.
Much of it comes up on my phone these days.
I don't watch much Television.
I see it, hear it, but have much of it pass into the night and new dawn without much ado

I'm aware that today African heads of state will meet for the 25th AU summit, which is being held in South Africa [click]

I hope something real and tangible comes out of it.
That's my opinion on all meetings to be honest.
I sometimes wonder how honest these leaders are with each other when they meet. Do they ever say.. 'hey... get your shit together.. you're letting the side down!'..
or are they more... well...'diplomatic'
Are they 'British' about it

The Summit

When: 14-15 June 2015
The official opening ceremony will be held on 14th June starting at 11:30am
Highlights for media on the 14th will include:
• Welcome remarks by H.E. Mr. Jacob Zuma, President of the Republic of South Africa
• H.E. Mr. Robert Mugabe, President of the Republic of Zimbabwe and Chairman of the African Union, declares the beginning of the Session
• AU Anthem by a South African Choir
• Statement by H.E. Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Chairperson of the Commission of the African Union
• Statement by H.E. Mr. Mahmoud Abbas, President of the State of Palestine and Chairman of Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Executive Committee
• Opening Statement by H.E. Mr. Robert Mugabe, President of the Republic of Zimbabwe and Chairman of the African Union


I would love to hear Mugabe speak to be honest. ( hopefully they will upload his remarks online) Of all leaders, he is the one I seem to study the most.

Agenda 2063:

'Agenda 2063 is both a Vision and an Action Plan. It is a call for action to all segments of African society to work together to build a prosperous and united Africa based on shared values and a common destiny.

In their 50th Anniversary Solemn Declaration, the Heads of State and Government of the African Union (AU), while acknowledging past successes and challenges, rededicated themselves to the continent’s accelerated development and technological progress. They laid down vision and eight ideals to serve as pillars for the continent in the foreseeable future, which Agenda 2063 will translate into concrete objectives, milestones, goals, targets and actions/measures. Agenda 2063 strives to enable Africa remain focused and committed to the ideals envisaged in the context of a rapidly changing world'



I question myself as to whether or not I have a romanticized view of Africa
An idealized view

It was the topic of a discussion among students a few years back.

Quick story.
My class was very mixed. However, I would say it was predominantly female
I wondered once where the Pan Africanists were.
I took a law module and bingo.. there they were.
The study of Law.. is clearly very popular. The module itself was social justice.
I was at home there.

Anyway, I thought about this as many Africans are finding life extremely hard on the continent. To be fair it's quite hard right here in the UK, but at least we have strong infrastructure and services to protect our most vulnerable. It doesn't always work.. people fall through the net but it's better than nothing at all
How long we will be able to retain these services, is anyone's guess.
Our conservative government is keen on cutting back on any expenditure which is used to assist those who need it most, and facilitate social mobility

Anyway.. I digress.

If I'm ever accused of having a romanticized view of the continent, a view from the vantage point of living in the west I'd say this
My view is a hopeful one
The continent itself is a beautiful one, and holds many diverse customs and cultures.
I don't like them all
But I like some.

I prefer to be hopeful as opposed to hopeless.
Hopelessness is the enemy of freedom
and the mother of pain

A great deal of the pain and suffering that is being inflicted upon others is being inflicted by others.

Natural disasters aside ( and environmentalists can argue what causes some)
The issues, are man made.
Man has caused them
and man can fix them

Social capital is not really being utilized to the fullest... perhaps.
Those who can help each other.. often don't'
yet those who can rob each other .. often do
That's not a government policy

That's a choice that we, as people, make.

Choices which are in no way restricted to the continent.

I try to take a balanced view. To see the good and the not so good. I also try and remember that my view as I've stated is from my own particular vantage point
call it.. the view from the hill if you will

No comments:

Post a Comment